Sunday, June 28, 2009

A TRUE STARIAN!

When I made up my mind to travel up north for the weekend, it was a rather difficult decission to make, for a number of reasons. Most pertinent and obvious was the fact that, that trip was my number one, my first time ever, participating in the STAROBA Old Boy's Weekend (OBW). Secondly because I was not sure of what to expect in Ipoh after leaving the school almost 34 years ago!. But what I came across and experienced was something that beyond my expectation!.

Nobody took noticed of this guy. He stood a forlorn figure underneath the tree. I was watching the rugby game between STAR Present team against the STAROBA when Mohamad approached me and asked me whether I would mind taking another passenger to KL. Mohamad had met this guy, who happened to be going the same way as he was i.e. to JB, after which he would continue his journey home to Pontian Dalam. Of course I would not mind!. I had driven alone to Ipoh for the OBW, having failed to convince Che Wan or Rahim or getting Rashid Gong to accompany me. Mohamad was supposed to accompany me back to KL, a pre-arrangement that was agreed amongst us (Rostam, Omar Dollah, Omar Suhaimi Lan Chik). So, having another passenger travelling with me and Mohamad was not a problem at all.

We left Tiger Lane after the rugby game and stopped at Uu Bernam R&R for refreshment and the deserved break. That break turned up to be the one that haunted me and kept me thinking all the way, while driving to KL. During the coffee break, I took the opportunity to chitchat with him and he told me something that made me ashamed of myself. Here stood right in front of me, a TRUE STARIAN!. One that had been attending the OBW every year! (apart from last year because nobody informed and invited him over!). What really astonished me was the fact that he had journeyed and travelled by bus!!. That journey would take him from Pontian Dalam to JB, got himself into the bus for the trip to his beloved alma mater! And he has been doing this for almost every year! (except last year of course).

He took all the trouble for his journey home because STAR made him what he is today. He wanted to show his appreciation and would pay homage to the school that has made and shaped him. Of course attending the OBW would meant that he would able him to see his old friends again, if at all they were present. I felt so humbled and ashamed of myself upon hearing this. And I remembered the nite before, during the grand dinner, when prizes were given to those deservedly so, but we may have forgetten old boy/s like this guy who was a champion on his own way. When we reached KL, after saying goodbye, from the corner of my eyes, I could see him clutching dearly that little bag, the one the organiser for OBW gave away when you check in for registration - contained in it was that 'little mug' with the school logo, that car sticker and momentos from MIMOS. That was all there was for him to remember for his trip down the Tiger Lane in 2009.

To have helped him accomplished his mission so that he could pay homage to his alma mater and to enable him to recall and mesmerise the memory of his life in Tiger Lane, was something that I would treasured for a long long long time. He is 66 years old now, retired from the navy since 1985. God's willing, next year, in that little town of Pontian Dalam, one would see a small guy with a forlorn face,by the road side awaiting for the bus that would take him back the journey to the place he remembered and loved most...., Sekolah Tuanku Abdul Rahman, Ipoh. InsyaAllah. We salute you, Khalid Siran (Batch '57).

14 comments:

  1. Terlebih dahulu saya ingin merakamkan ucapan terimakasih saya kepada Che Wan Hussin, Rostam,Omar Suhaimi,Omar Abdullah,Roslan Chik,Daniel Tomo,Yunus,Md Sakaf and not forgetting Abdul Jabbar for a memorable weekend.Thank you guys see you all next year. myself,Omar Dollah and brother Khalid reached JB just before 7.00pm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mat, Omar. It was an enjoyable weekend. I truly enjoyed the trip and the stay at the appartment. One thing though, we'd better learn how to play the ginrummy, in order to follow the crowd lah! Or was it terup keling the better deal?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salam Tuan,

    Saya amat bertuah kerana berpeluang untuk berbual dengan beliau di Rumah Putih ketika waktu Maghrib sebelum majlis makan malam pada hari Sabtu itu.

    Saya benar-benar terharu mendengar kisah perjalanan hidup beliau semasa di STAR - nyaris berhenti kerana biasiswanya dihentikan oleh kerajaan dan pengalaman beliau semasa berkhidmat di dalam TLDM bermula pada 1963.

    Saya amati,beliau begitu tajam ingatannya - dapat mengingati tarikh-tarikh penting di dalam perjalanan hidupnya.

    Semua STARians saya fikir,kembali ke STAR untuk mengenang budi dan jasa alma mater ini.
    Dan pada saya, apabila Pakcik Khalid kembali ke STAR dan berkongsi secebis daripada pengalaman hidupnya kepada anak-anak didik STAR generasi baru seperti saya- ia merupakan caranya untuk membalas budi kepada STAR.

    Saya berharap benar agar dapat bertemu beliau lagi pada OBW tahun hadapan,jika dipanjangkan umur!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eversince I moved back to KL in 2006 I always look forward to STAR OBW where I hope to meet old friends esp those from batch 73. As usual I was dissapointed coz only the familiar faces turned up.

    Nevertheless we had a good time together that i already miss them now.I hope many will turn up next year. If brother Khalid could take the troubles to travel all the way from Pontian to Ipoh by bus I wonder why many others in the comfort of Merc, BMW, Volvo etc etc COULDNT..

    ReplyDelete
  5. My thousand apology to Wan Zain since I forgot to mentioned your name.Rostam called to remind me.I agreed with drbubbles about brother Khalid.Kalau panjang umur tahun depan you will be able to meet him again.Rostam reminded me to get in touch and ensure that he travelled to OBW with me. Insyaallah.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear All,

    We could make up a full soccer team (without reserves) as there were 11 of us from Batch'73 whoo returned home to STAR during OBW2009. If we play 4-4-2, the lineup would have been:-

    1. Rostam - GK
    2. Daniel Tomo - Leftback
    3. Jabar Abdullah - Centreback
    4. Omar Abdullah - Centreback
    5. Norizan - Rightback
    6. Wan Hussin - Midfield
    7. Wan Zain - Midfield
    8. Omar Suhaimi - Midfield
    9. Sakaff - Midfield
    10. Yunus - Striker
    11. Roslan - Striker

    Well, this is the best line-up we could have.

    I am looking forward to the planned Batch'73 Gathering ........ at least we should have our berbuka puasa this coming Ramadhan like what we used to do previously.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. kadang-kadang bila dah berjaya dalam hidup kita lupa atau memandang rendah kepada rakan-rakan kita yang kurang bernasib baik..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't agree with Rostam more. I believe that as brothers we must be willing to share if nothing else a little bit of our precious time whenever possible with fellow brothers. Each one of us is a STARIAN whether one likes it or not. Please remember that one day you may slip and fall and let us hope that when that happens the brothers are still around to break that fall.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rostam and panglimaomar wa tabik spring kat Lu orang. As for omasuha the line up that you suggested sound good but how long can we survive as the game goes on? Anyway who cares...for fun what.Gempak jugak sekali2 otai
    turun padang.Bila nak arrange? Sponsors jangan lupa cari.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Betui la kami tak dapat pi OBW 09 tapi jangan lupa kami.Dah ada hal lain yang tak dapat dielakkan. kot2 dapat join team bola tu reserve pun jadi lah. Camna boleh consider ka. Aku, Cik Wan, Azis Ha dan Rashid G. Sebelum ni pun kami jarang miss OBW

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yelah Mat nama kau tak masuk dalam football team tu. Mungkin juga sebab kau dah terpileh mewakili team STAROBA untuk perlawanan di OBW tahun depan. To Abdoll, we will never forget you, cik wan, aziz ha,rashid G or the rest of class of 73. we hope to be able to see all of u in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mat jadi umpire. Dia over qualified for the team. Team 73 tu Team Ga-Ga!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. To Mat,
    Sorry I kept counting eleven from our batch - actually when I counted eleven it was excluding my name - silly me. So, indeed we had twelve from Batch 73 who turned up. Of course, since your transfer clearance was received late from FIFA (becoz the Fijian FA thought you have joined the STAROBA Orange rugger team, instead), that was why only eleven names were registered in the team list. Ha..ha..
    Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  14. To omasuha,
    You must excuse the Fijian FA.They did sent the TC in time but using the old method(smoke signal)I presumed.

    ReplyDelete