Thursday, June 25, 2009

Tokonang Den ( 4 )

This photograph was taken in 1970. We were in Form One then, having graqduated and liberated ourselves from that one year 'confinement' period!- i.e one year in the Remove Class!. It was taken during the school annual ' Speech Day'. Being juniors then, we had our seats reserved - in the garage next to the school hall!. (actually the school hall was too small to accomodate us all!) Most of us (Batch '73) were there in the picture including yours truly! We were much, ehem.., handsome then!... aah yezzir., those good old days!

The school hall reminded me of the place where we spent our time almost every week, watching the wayang! At that time, movies were shown using projectors (ya loh, no DVD or CD players ma!) For that reason, I guessed the school had a cinema club. A few of us from Batch '73 were members of this club. Those that I can recalled being cinema club members then were Mail Gebang, Omar Suhaimi AH, Saiful Bahari, Wan Husin, Omar Dollah, Mohamad Saleh, Aziz Ha and Kamarshah Harun ( I might have missed a few names here., my apologies!). I envied these guys actually. They were the priviledged few. Apart from having the chance to operate the projectors, on screening days (Friday nites), they could have had their dinner early! To be a member of this 'prestigous' club, you need to apply for one. And part of the requirement would be for potential candidates to write an essay -in English - on why one would like to be a member of the club! These guys - Mail Gebang, Mohamad Saleh and the rest - must have passed with flying colours i.e. written bloody good essays then!! Or was it becaused of their 'connection' or 'networking' with the then President of the cinema club, the late Che Ani Deraman?

So, every Friday nites then (wayang time), and just about time we finished our dinner, you could see a few guys moving towards the door and ready for their weekly run! Yes, running and dashing, through the field between Red and Black House, across the football field and out into the school hall. The catch was actually the chairs at the hall- limited in number - i.e. save them from having to go up the classrooms and bring down the chairs for the wayang. (Some smart alecs preferred to hide those chairs in secrets hideouts behind the school hall rather than having to dash for the chairs after dinner). Anyway, one guy whom I recalled was very constant and committed in doing this, week in week out without failed and opting for the weekly run, was our very own Nari Ansari. I did try to follow him several times but Nariwas so good, so fast and very nippy. Nari must have studied the tract then for he could whizzed through the football field at eased.

I wonder whether they still have such show at Tiger Lane anymore. One thing for sure though, that memory of Nari dashingg through the field still lingers in my mind and I can still recalled those 'encouraging' words ... cepat Nari cepat!!. And I wonder, where about is Nari now? Nari Ansari dimana kau?!

End of Part 4 . (To be continued)....

3 comments:

  1. On the group photo - as the print- out on the photo suggested (next to the Shui Kat's identity) it was taken in 1969 when we were in Form One. I believe the function was called "Speech Day". Back then there were only two classes (One A and One B) and the total students in our batch would not have been more than 80. From Form 4 we had more students (new Form Four intake) and thus we had about 103 when we sat for our MCE. I hope there is someone omongst our '73 batch who has kept these statistics.

    To son of Dulla, I enjoy reading your postings. I would just post my contributions in the form of comments or extensions to your writings rather than start my own blog. I hope more from our Batch '73 friends would come up with stories, etc.

    I have heard least of people like Yyuri, Ansor Ahmad, Shokeri Md Zin, Syed Izuddin, Kamarulzaman Othman @ (Man Panjang,Yusoff Ahmad (Yusoff Mohammad?), Nari Ansari, A Khalim Rashid, Zulkifli Siraj (Ajoy), Ismail Don, Zoney Rashid, Mohammad Abu Bakar, Nazillah Mohd Noor, Tengku Zainuddin, Zainuddin Omar, Zainuddin Dol & some others.

    There are also friends who have left us forever. Al Fatihah to all of them.

    Regards,
    omasuha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Omasuha. I was just pulling your leg. Of course it was 1969. Just testing whether anyone would noticed the 'mistake". I am building up the data base of Class of 73. Hoping that you guys can come up with infos and updates so that we can have a more comprehensive datas of C73.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is indded nostalgic to see those innocent faces in the pic and Omasuha is right to offer Al-Fatihah to those who have gone before us. Let's join him in doing so. As for Nari Ansari, the last info I have on him is that he's now in Pharmaniaga. I happen to have a cousin who works in Pharmaniaga Group and he knows "Uncle Nari", one day he told me. I have just contacted him and solicited his help to get Nari's office and h/p numbers. Will revert to this blog once I get his numbers, ok. By the way this is the first time I'm attempting to be part of this group discussion/chat, as I only got to know there's such a blog from Jabbar (Son of Dulla)and Rostam last night. Hey, I think you guys are doing a splendid job getting our gang together through this platform. Keep it up.

    Che Wan ni.

    ReplyDelete